South African police have arrested five suspects and killed another following a hijacking and kidnapping operation that escalated into a shootout in southern Johannesburg.
The intelligence-led operation unfolded on Thursday near the N12 highway and Xavier Road in Winchester Hills, where members of the Gauteng Tactical Response Team (TRT), Crime Intelligence, and other law enforcement units intercepted several vehicles linked to the suspects.
According to police, the case began after a white Isuzu bakkie was hijacked in Germiston earlier in the day. The driver was allegedly abducted during the incident and forced to travel with the armed suspects.
Armed Confrontation During Police Interception
Police spokesperson Captain Tintswalo Sibeko said officers identified additional vehicles believed to be acting as convoy or support vehicles for the hijacking group.
As police moved in, two suspects reportedly fled into nearby bushes before opening fire on officers, triggering a gun battle.
“One suspect was fatally wounded at the scene, while the kidnapped victim was rescued unharmed,” Sibeko confirmed.
Authorities recovered the hijacked Isuzu bakkie as well as an unlicensed firearm and ammunition. Three more vehicles allegedly linked to the suspects — a Mitsubishi SUV, a VW Polo, and a Volvo — were also seized during the operation.
Police have opened several criminal cases, including attempted murder, kidnapping, possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition, possession of a hijacked vehicle, and carjacking.
The South African Police Service (SAPS) in Gauteng praised the coordinated operation, describing it as a swift and decisive response that prevented further harm to the victim.
Hijackings and kidnappings linked to organised crime syndicates remain a major concern in Gauteng, South Africa’s economic hub. Criminal groups frequently use convoy vehicles and armed escorts during vehicle theft operations, making police interventions increasingly dangerous.
Triple Murder Investigated In Eastern Cape
In a separate violent incident, Eastern Cape police have launched a triple murder investigation after three men were found shot dead in Duncan Village near East London.
The shooting took place late on Tuesday night in the Bhebhelele Informal Settlement in KuGompo City.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said officers responded to reports of gunfire in Jiba Street shortly after 11.20pm.
Upon arrival, police discovered spent cartridges outside a shack before finding the bodies of three men inside the structure. All three victims had sustained multiple gunshot wounds.
Investigators also recovered several bullet heads and cartridge casings from inside the shack.
The victims, aged 28, 36, and 37, have been identified by police, although their names are being withheld until relatives are formally notified.
Authorities said the motive behind the killings remains unclear, and no arrests have yet been made.
The latest incidents come amid continuing concerns over violent crime levels across several South African provinces, where police continue to battle armed robbery syndicates, kidnappings, and gang-related shootings.
Source: The Citizen
